Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Honestly Mom, I swear I didn't know there was a sexy song on this CD when I bought it!"

I love love love the music/album posts, so I knew I wanted to do mine. My list is a compilation of 15 albums, artists, and/or particular songs. A lot of them are very old school, but that's what makes them fun. Without further ado, here is my life in music:


1) TLC - CrazySexyCool
First CD I ever bought after I finally got a CD player when I was in either 5th or 6th grade. My mom was in my room the first time I listened to it. I just bought it for "Waterfalls" and "Creep"...then Red Light Special came on and she kinda freaked out (if you don't know what that song is about...just know it contains the lyrics "i'll let you touch it if you'd like to go down" 'Nuff said.) Whoops?


2) Richard Marx
I love 80's music. I adore it. And Richard Marx is the culmination of my love for 80's music. His ballads move me. (Stop laughing!) I want "Now and Forever" to be played at my wedding. Seriously.

3) Space Jam Soundtrack
Did anyone actually see this movie? (Or if you did see it, did anyone actually like it?) I remember is listening to this cd over and over with my friends and everyone dancing awkwardly at the 7th grade dance to "I Believe I Can Fly."


4) Hanson - MMMbop
Come on....you can't say this wasn't a MAJOR part of your puberty years. (I wasn't a Taylor fan like most of my friends. I inexplicably preferred Isaac.)

5) Dixie Chicks
Their first two albums were sooo amazing. I still listen to "Fly" all the time, and I would listen to "Wide Open Spaces" if I hadn't worn it out so badly that it skips constantly. Boo.

6) Starship - "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"
Just in case you didn't already know, this is my favorite song of all time. Again, goes back to my ridiculous love of 80's music. It's also on the sound track to the movie "Mannequin" which just adds to its awesomeness.

7) Michael Jackson - HIStory
He might be wacko, but Jacko is a musical genius. This album has every single hit that he had out. Thus it is fantastic (and very singalongable).

8) 98 Degrees - 98 Degrees and Rising
HOLY CRAP I LOVED THEM. I was not too big into Backstreet Boys or NSYNC, but man did I love these guys. My friend Melissa and I got 7th row seats to see them at our state fair one year, and it was amazing. (This one girl in the row in front of us had a sign that said "Nick show us your 'Hardest Thing!'" Ew.)

9) Waiting To Exhale Soundtrack
I never saw this movie, and probably never will. But I got this soundtrack when Whitney Houston was the bomb. And so is this soundtrack. Brandy, Toni Braxton....can't go wrong.

10) Damien Rice - O
I love the simplicity of his music and voice yet how powerful the songs are. The music on this CD just soothes me.

11) Dashboard Confessional
I remember the first time I heard Chris Carrabba's voice. I was in my friend/ex-bf Taylor's house with April and Amanda and he told us we had to hear this song called "Screaming Infidelities" by Dashboard Confessional. I loved it, but looking back, that is one of my lesser favorite DC songs. Such great music.

12) Jimmy Eat World - "Bleed American"
They are probably one of my alltime favorite bands. I remember seeing them in concert and everyone jumping up and down during "The Sweetness." My favorite song of theirs, "For Me This is Heaven" is unfortunately not on this album.

13) The Format
This band is a tad off beat but I love them. Just love them. I discovered them opening up for a Switchfoot concert (another fabulous band).


14) Sam & Ruby
Brooke is probably the only other person who knows this duo (she calls them Max & Ruby. like the kids cartoon. get it? ha.). I listen to their EP on repeat in the car. Check them out on MySpace.

15) Twilight Soundtrack
Ok, I listen to this CD way too darn much. I even like the Linkin Park song. And the Paramore songs are just great (like pretty much all of Paramore's songs). What can I say? I'm a Twi-hard through and through.

3 comments:

ms. ard said...

wow. this was a good one. seriously, i had that space jam soundtrack too. whew.

NOT a fan of the 80's ish that you adore, but it's better than all that michael bolton crud. actually, my mom had a lot of michael bolton cds back in the day and i used to listen to them then. i thought he was pretty cool for the time. then i realized there was more music to be heard.

tlc and michael jackson...classics

max and ruby - besides the fact that she sounds like dolly parton, they are pretty darn good.

enjoyed. two thumbs up!

Paige said...

that TLC album will never get old! i love it!

i was a huge hanson fan, too. my two childhood best friends and i won tickets to their show at verizon when we were in 7th grade. i wore a red shirt that night because it was taylor's fave color! :)

i love 80s music, too. brooke needs to stop hatin'

the twilight soundtrack is SO great. seriously. i cant stop listening to it, either.

dashboard confessional was a huge part of my senior year in high school. i remember when i first heard screaming infidelities. WONDERFUL band.

loved this!

Austin said...

that TLC album lives on!

great list katie, glad we've got a love for 80's music!